Lighting sets the tone of a room, and you can make dramatic changes by doing something as easy as switching out a light bulb.
If you want to give a room a makeover, or just freshen it up a bit, use these tips from the lighting experts at SYLVANIA to brighten things up.
Types of lighting
* Ambient: Provides overall illumination and a comfortable level of brightness, allowing people to see and move around safely and easily.
* Task: Helps you perform a specific activity, such as reading or playing games, by concentrating light in a particular place.
* Accent: Sets the mood and highlights certain areas and objects, such as paintings, walls and collectibles.
* Decorative: Fixtures become an element of the space themselves, such as chandeliers or pendants.
* Using dimmers and layering with light gives you flexibility for different occasions.
* For an elegant look, blend low levels of light sources throughout the room.
* When installing light over the dining room table, be careful not to create shadows on the faces of your guests. Placing additional light sources elsewhere in the room helps to balance the light.
* Wall sconces and floor lamps are good sources of task lighting for reading or playing games, while track fixtures can be used to highlight art work or unique wall treatments such as wall washing or glazing.
* Place light sources at various heights within the room to add visual interest.
* Use translucent shades on table lamps to contribute to the ambient light level.