PITTSBURG — Two young children and their baby sitter escaped a fire on Friday morning.

The Pittsburg Fire Department was advised of a fire around 10:30 a.m. at an apartment on 812 Ford Street, Apartment B.

They responded with three units and nine firefighters, the fire chief and the state fire marshall were all on scene.  
According to Pittsburg Fire Chief Mike Simons, two young children and their baby sitter escaped the fire without any injuries.

Simons said the fire is considered an accidental fire, which started in one of the bedrooms in the resident’s apartment.

The other apartment — apartment A — was not occupied at the time.

Simons said the smoke detectors were a part of the safe evacuation of the occupants.

“Without that [smoke detectors], who knows what the outcome would have been,” he said. “It is a national statistic that working smoke detectors increase the chance of survival.”

Simons said there is significant damage to one room and smoke damage throughout the apartment. He said it would need a lot of repairs before it will be habitable again.

The blaze did not cause any damage to the other apartment.

The American Red Cross was called to assist the family in their time of need.

The mother’s coworkers have purchased items for the family since the incident. They are welcoming donations, at Medicalodges Frontenac to help the family.

“This is a very nice gesture,” Simons said. “It says a lot about the organization and the people.”

Donors can ask for Katy Stell or Ashley DeBruler at Medicalodges Frontenac.
One child is a boy and he is four and the other is a girl and she is two. The children can use toys and clothing.

— Stephanie Potter is a staff writer at the Morning Sun. She can be emailed at spotter@morningsun.net or follow her on Twitter @PittStephP and Instagram @stephanie_morningsun.