GIRARD — An early-morning blaze engulfed the back of a Girard home Sunday.

Units from the Girard Fire Department, Girard Police Department, Crawford County Fire District No. 4, Crawford County Sheriff’s Office and Crawford County EMS responded to reports of a fire at 403 S. Cherokee Street at 6:02 a.m. Sunday.

GPD Officer Mark Kase and County Deputy Don Kmiec arrived on the scene and found the back of the structure engulfed in flames.

Girard Fire Chief Joseph Clow said two residents were located inside the home by Kmiec and Kase, and were safely evacuated with no injuries.

Clow said the structure was a single-family home, which was rented by the occupants.

“There was extensive damage to the kitchen on the main floor, rear of the home,” Clow said. “As well as damage to the attic above the kitchen and smoke damage throughout the structure.”

Girard Fire Department also safely evacuated a family pet from the burning structure.

The incident is still under investigation by the Girard Fire Department and Girard Police.