GIRARD — The Crawford County Commission discussed SEK Library System appointments, insurance, and upcoming presentations at its regular meeting Tuesday.
1. SEK Library System Director Roger Carswell attended the meeting to inform the commission that it needed to select an appointee for the county to its board. SEK Library System is based in Iola, Kansas and provides technology support, grants and more to area libraries. County representatives were formerly appointed by the Kansas Governor’s Office of Appointments, but under new law will now be appointed by county government. The appointee must live in Crawford County, but outside of any city with a city library — which excludes Arma, Pittsburg, Girard, McCune and more. Anyone interested in serving on the board is encouraged to contact the Crawford County Clerk’s Office.
2. At its Friday meeting, the commission approved an option agreement with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kansas. The agreement will allow BCBS to begin the process of issuing member cards to county employees when the county’s new employee benefits plan is finalized and put into effect.
3. The commission announced that Crawford County Mental Health Executive Director Rick Pfeiffer will attend the meeting December 15 to discuss his book, Trail of the Warrior, which will be used to raise funds for a new addiction treatment center.
4. The commission also announced that Pittsburg Area Chamber of Commerce President Blake Benson and Crawford County Convention and Visitors Bureau Executive Director Devin Gorman will attend the December 15 meeting. The two will discuss a contract with the chamber and an update on CVB, respectively.
5. Public hearings for budget amendments to the county’s overall budget and fire district budgets will begin at 10 a.m. December 19.