Follow the link to see this week’s suggestions, which include watching “The Hunger Games,” watching March Madness, celebrating Waffle Day and more. What are you planning to do this weekend?
1. There’s only one movie opening in wide release this week, and it’s not hard to figure out why – everyone will be flocking to see “The Hunger Games.” The PG-13 movie is expected to be the first blockbuster film of the year, and it’s based on the novel by Suzanne Collins. The film stars Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss and Josh Hutcherson as Peeta. Some theaters are holding midnight shows, so check the listings.
2. Friday is National Puppy Day, a day designed to put the spotlight on puppy adoption and stop puppy mills. There are many ways to celebrate the day – check out the official website for some ideas.
3. March Madness continues this weekend, with the regional semifinals and regional finals being played. Check CBS or the TV listings in the newspaper for schedules. If you’re not into the NCAA tournament, don’t forget that most of the major sports leagues have games this weekend.
4. Sunday is Pecan Day, so if you’re up to the task, try your hand at making a pecan pie or other pecan dish. Or head to the nearest bakery and sample some of their pecan delights. Check out recipes at your favorite site, or check out Food Channel’s offerings at www.foodchannel.com.
5. Or you could celebrate Pecan Day and Waffle Day by combining the two – waffles with pecans! Sunday is Vaffeldagen, aka Waffle Day, a Swedish holiday that is becoming popular around the world.
GateHouse News Service