Pittsburg High School was evacuated at 1:15 p.m. on Thursday due to a bomb threat found inside the school.

Pittsburg High School was evacuated at 1:15 p.m. on Thursday due to a bomb threat found inside the school.
Donna Zerr, PHS principal, said a note written on a bathroom stall was found Thursday morning that suggested a bomb would go off at around 2 p.m. Thursday. Zerr said a student first saw the note, reported to a staff member, who then reported it to the school's administration.
The Pittsburg Police Department and the Crawford County Sheriff’s Office were called and quickly began investigating at the school. At around 3 p.m., Zerr said authorities gave the "all clear," as no evidence was found to support the threat.
Robin Dexter, interim superintendent, cited USD 250 policy as the reason for the evacuation.
"We couldn't find any evidence to support or not support a bomb being in the school," Dexter said at around 1:30 p.m. "It's district policy to evacuate whenever there is a bomb threat. It's a precautionary measure."
Zerr said the evacuation and investigation were conducted in a timely and calm manner.
"Our students and staff took appropriate actions and we were able to be dismissed and clear the building so that the authorities could take their measures in a timely manner," Zerr said. "That was greatly appreciated and it made things run very smooth and calmly."
Dexter first reported the bomb threat to The Morning Sun shortly before noon on Thursday. She said the decision to evacuate was delayed in order to allow time for investigators to find evidence to either support or disprove the threat.
"We're holding tight right now until we can collect some more evidence," Dexter said at around 11:40 a.m.
The delay, however, didn't sit well with one PHS student. Kirsten Nemecek, a junior at PHS, said word of the possible bomb threat "got around like gossip" at approximately 11 a.m. However, she said the official announcement was not made to the school until it was time to evacuate.
"It was almost like the staff disregarded it at first," she said.
Zerr countered, however, by saying that the situation was taken seriously from the start, but she added that it took time before it was confirmed as an actual bomb threat.
"We didn't exactly know what it was," she said. "We investigated first. As soon as we confirmed (it was a bomb threat), we evacuated."
Thursday's situation was the second of its type in just over a year's time. In January 2008, a bomb threat was reported by telephone. Students were evacuated, but no explosive devices were found in the school. The students resumed classes that afternoon.