Unlike last year, the Northeast Vikings weren't shut out by the Humboldt Cubs. But similar to last year, the Vikings still couldn't come away with a victory. Trying to avenge last season's 22-point loss to the Cubs, the Vikings came up short in their season opener in Arma, losing 20--14 in a game that featured lots of offense in the first half but total defense in a score-less second half. Despite the result, head coach Phil Hobbs was pleased with the effort. "Our kids played a heck of a game. I feel like they gave a great effort Humboldt's a good ball team. They're a physical team and I think we matched them. the score somewhat attested to that. I think we made some mistakes here and there and had an opportunity to win the ball game and we got to capitalize on that," Hobbs said. In the first quarter, the Cubs found the end zone first, with quarterback Alex Murrow connecting with wide receiver Hunter Murrow for a 21-yard pass. The extra-point was wide-left. The Vikings got off to a slow start but managed to get themselves going with a little help from an offsides call on the Cubs to move the ball down. Drew Mills would break free on a 49-yard run to put the Vikings on the board with 1:16 left in the first quarter. The two-point conversion would fail. The Cubs muffed the ball on the returning kick, pinning them back at their own 16-yard line. The Vikings would block a punt and get the ball at the Cubs' 22-yard line. It didn't take Northeast long to get six with an 18-yard run by Mills. The two-point conversion would be a success with quarterback J.T. Richardson taking the ball by himself in for two. But the lead would not last. Bryce Isaacs returned the ensuing kick off all the way back for a 73-yard touchdown. A failed 2-point conversion kept the Vikings in front. The Vikings gave up possession at the 44-yard line but an interception by Nick Younge gave the Vikings a chance to extend the lead. But Humboldt's defense forced the Vikings into a turnover on downs after marching the ball to the Cubs' 20. With under three minutes in the second quarter, the Cubs added six more with a 19-yard pass to Murrow in the end zone to put Humboldt in front once again. The Cubs marched the ball down the field and had an opportunity to get another touchdown but could get no close than the 6-yard line as the clock expired. It may have been a loss, but Hobbs said there were still positives to take from the game as the Vikings managed to out-do the Cubs in certain categories. "You can say it was a moral victory. We had goals going into this game and we met some of those goals. We wanted to hold them scoreless to two quarters and we did that. We wanted to win the turnover battle and we did. We had two interceptions and recovered a fumble. We had some bright spots. There were some things we could've corrected on. We had penalties that killed us. Our kids are hurt and upset but we'll bounce back from it," Hobbs said. After a first half of back and fourth battles between the two sides, the second half proved to be the exact opposite. Hobbs says the answer to that was good defense on the Vikings' part but mental mistakes from their offense. "For them we played good defense. I thought we played good defense in the second half. In the second half offensively, we moved the ball and got into scoring position a couple of times but couldn't capitalize. It was mental mistakes that hurt us and kept us out of the end zone. I thought our defense was excellent in the second half," Hobbs said. A Viking fumble at Humboldt's 9-yard line was recovered by the offense but it brought in fourth and goal where Richardson tried to scramble in from the outside but could only get to the seven and another turnover on downs was the result. Humboldt was forced to go three-and-out in the next drive, forcing the Cubs to punt, but the Vikings could not find an answer. An interception by Northeast's defensive lineman Vinnie Lopez gave the Vikings some hope but it came at a price as he was knocked down hard and had to take awhile before getting up as he held his head in pain while the stretcher was brought onto the field. While he sat out the rest of the game, Hobbs said he was doing well. "He took a shot to the head. He had jaw pain. of course, it's a concern of ours but I think he's OK. He didn't lose conscious but his jaw was hurting," Hobbs said. First-and-5 at the Humboldt 42 saw Richardson trying to connect with Mills on a deep pass but it fell incomplete. A pass to Antonio Slingluff to the 40 gave the Vikings a new set of downs before facing fourth-and-7. Facing a blitz, Richardson's pass would fall incomplete and the Cubs ran out the clock to escape.