The Frontenac-Riverton season opener Friday night proved to be an endurance contest. Two overtimes, eight lost fumbles, six interceptions, 130 penalty yards, a blocked punt, a missed field goal, cramps and several wild momentum swings before Frontenac came out with a 27-21 win on a Ryan Menghini 1-yard touchdown run in double overtime. “Both teams made a lot of mistakes,” Frontenac head coach Mark Smith said. “That's going to happen in the first game. But both teams played so hard. Nobody wants to lose this game. We turned over the ball twice on the 1-yard line. They turned the ball over in the red zone a couple times. They both wanted to win. It stinks for one team to lose.” Frontenac took a 21-7 halftime lead — Austin Seward scored the first points of the game on a 15-yard run, Keaton Bolinger took a pass from Seward and scored from nine yards out and Chase Turner returned an interception 15 yards for a score 1 minute, 25 seconds before halftime. “I thought we were wearing them down in the first half,” Smith said. “I was like, 'Man, we've got to keep going, we're going to wear 'em down.' I thought we had a little more depth but you've got to give credit to Coach Rider (Riverton head coach Derrick Rider) and his team because they played hard for the whole game. They almost wore us down because we had guys falling everywhere with cramps and injuries. We're a little depleted at the end but I'm proud of the way the kids finished it with a win.” The Raiders intercepted Riverton quarterback Chandler Underhill three times and the Rams went to Dalton Weaver in the second half, who sparked a 14-point comeback with his arm and his legs. Frontenac turned it over a couple times in the red zone on fumbles, one on what appeared to be a 22-yard touchdown pass from Seward to Turner on a 4th-and-14 play in the third quarter. The officials conferred and ruled it a fumble, Riverton taking over possession at its own 20 on a touchback, although the Riverton defender appeared to be tackled at the 1-yard line. One play after another Frontenac fumble in the third, Riverton cut the Frontenac lead to 21-14 with 3:39 remaining on a 24-yard touchdown pass from Weaver to Landon North. On the next play from scrimmage, in a play which undoubtedly epitomized the game, North intercepted a Seward pass and on the return, Frontenac created a fumble and offensive lineman Kylan Dixon not only recovered it but he returned it deep into Riverton territory, all the way down to the 13. However, the Raiders could not cash in on their opportunity and Riverton tied it up early in the fourth on a Weaver 15-yard rumble. “It's very tough when a team spreads you out like that,” Smith said. “It gives your defense a lot of mismatches. Chase Turner made a huge play, Brett Macary made a huge play, Caleb Spangler, Ryan Menghini played well at linebacker. A lot of guys played well but we'll get better watching film tomorrow.” In the first overtime, Frontenac stalled out on downs and Macary thwarted Riverton on an interception near the end zone. In the second overtime, Frontenac created a fumble and on its possession, short-yardage specialist Menghini powered his way in for the win, feeding off the forward push of the Frontenac offensive line. Seward led the Frontenac offense with 125 yards and one TD on 27 carries and he passed for 115 yards and one TD. Weaver ran for 55 yards and one TD on 11 carries and North led the Rams receiving corps with four catches for 71 yards and one TD. Frontenac (1-0) hosts Southeast next Friday. “It's always better to be sore after a win than after a loss,” Smith said. “We'll get up in the morning and watch some film and stretch a little bit. We'll take the rest of the weekend off and Southeast will be ready to go so we'll have to play a lot better to get the win.”