A 5-year-old boy was released from the hospital Friday after being mauled by a white American Bulldog less than a block from Schlanger Park at 8 p.m. on Wednesday night.

Korbin Smith, 5, was attacked near Stillwell and 8th Street while riding his bike with his grandma, who was pushing Korbin’s 2-year-old sister in a stroller. The dog jumped the fence and attacked Korbin, leaving marks all over his head and nearly ripping off his left ear. Korbin will still need to have a skin graft in a couple weeks on his left foot.

“It just came out of nowhere and attacked my grandson… it grabbed his (left) foot and pulled him off his bike and just went for his head,” said Jayne Smith, Korbin’s grandma.

Jayne said Korbin was screaming the whole time. Jayne was also screaming for help. She pushed the baby stroller into the grass and started to punch and kick the dog. But had no luck. She finally grabbed the dog by his blue color and held on for dear life.

“I just (remember thinking) I can’t hold this dog much longer, cause he’s like a big strong dog,” she said. “If I didn’t hold him he was going to kill my grandson.”

The dog was fixed on Korbin, she said. Eventually, someone from the daycare center at the corner of Stillwell and 8th Street came to help. The police arrived shortly after.

At Via Christi, a woman from the daycare center told Jayne the dog hopped the fence. At the hospital, Jayne also found out the dog tore out one of Korbin’s teeth and nearly ripped off his left ear. Korbin will also undergo skin graft on his left foot in the next few weeks, she said.

Korbin was taken to Via Christi and then airlifted to Children’s Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Mo., where he underwent surgery late into the night.

Neighbors said the residents whose dog attacked Korbin moved into the home within the last couple months. The dog’s owner couldn’t be reached for comment.

“The dog is currently at the animal control shelter,” said Deputy Chief Brent Narges.

At the time, Narges wasn’t sure if there was previous complaints about the dog. He said the dog’s owner will be receive an issue to appear in court. Then the fate of the dog will be determined.