COLUMBUS — A Cherokee County man who was the subject of 2016 car chase which resulted in his being shot will spend nearly seven years in prison.

According to a release by the Cherokee County Attorney’s Office, Kevin James Duncan, 39, was convicted of aggravated assault of a law enforcement officer and fleeing or attempting to elude a law enforcement officer in both Cherokee and Crawford counties and was sentenced to a total of 79 months imprisonment.

On May 3, 2016, Duncan made threats of violence towards several individuals, including the Columbus Animal Control Officer, and discharged a firearm through the sunroof of his vehicle.

After locating Duncan, a Cherokee County Sheriff’s deputy observed Duncan swerve at an oncoming motorist and attempted to stop him. He then fled within the City of Columbus. Columbus City Police and sheriff’s personnel pursued the Duncan, who then went north from Columbus to Crawford County, where Columbus PD discontinued their involvement in the pursuit. Cherokee County Sheriff’s deputies continued into Crawford County and became secondary units, after Crawford County deputies became primary.

Police radio reports indicated speeds were in excess of 110 mph along Kansas Highway 7, through Cherokee and into Girard before turning east on Highway 47 toward Highway 69.

Stop sticks were deployed and Duncan was stopped in the vicinity of 200th Street and Highway 47, where he was shot by police.

It was not the first time Duncan had been involved in a police chase.

In 2010 Duncan was allegedly involved in a domestic altercation in Columbus. By the time officers arrived he had left the scene, but was located near Riverton in the early morning hours of Sept. 13, 2010.

When officers attempted to stop him, Cherokee County Undersheriff Terry Clugston said at the time, he ran and a car chase ensued.

Cherokee County Sheriff David Groves said the initial stop was for a hit and run at the Riverton stoplight.

“He went through the roundabout backwards, stuff like that,” Clugston said in 2010. “When he got down by the Empire District plant he launched his car into the river.”

According to Groves, Duncan drove into the river intentionally and alcohol is suspected to have been involved.

“He called 911 and a dispatcher was on the phone with him telling him he needed to stop and talk to the deputy,” Groves said in 2010. “He intentionally drove into the river.”

Clugston said the car floated to the middle of the river before sinking and officers watched Duncan get out of the car.

The Galena Fire Department was called and brought out their rescue boat to fish Duncan out of the river.

“Of course he swam away,” Clugston said.

Groves said as deputies attempted to take Duncan into custody, he picked up a long stick and swung it at them. Groves said three deputies ended up in the water to arrest Duncan who then attempted to take a deputy’s gun — twice.

Cherokee County Attorney Jake Conard said he was satisfied with the sentence.

“It’s great to see the cooperation and coordination between law enforcement agencies and prosecutors’ offices in neighboring counties result in a lengthy prison sentence for someone who poses such a threat to the peace and safety of our communities,” Conard said.