GIRARD — People who are homeless or about to become homeless have an opportunity to receive Tenant Based Rental Assistance through the Southeast Kansas Community Action Program.
SEK-CAP will begin accepting applications for the Tenant Based Rental Assistance (TBRA) program at 8:30 a.m. on Feb. 14 and will continue to accept them until grant funding has been obligated, a release from SEK-CAP said.  This program is available for a limited time only.
To qualify for assistance, applicants must be certified as “homeless” or “about to become homeless” by a social service agency or helping organization, the release said. Additionally, applicants’ income must be at or below 50 percent of the Area Median Income (AMI) for their county of residence. SEK-CAP will provide TBRA assistance to eligible households, starting with the most vulnerable, as determined by an intake assessment, the release said.
According to the release, this is an “Equal Housing Opportunity.”
Applications will be accepted online at Once the online application has been submitted, applicants must work with an Access Center to complete an assessment and Homeless Certification.
A list of Access Centers, a link to the online application, Homeless Certification forms, income guidelines, and an application checklist can be found on the SEK-CAP website,
The TBRA Program, funded through the Kansas Housing Resources Corporation, assists qualifying individuals and families with rental subsidies, as well as security and utility deposits.  
According to the release, participants can receive rental assistance for up to two years in the counties of Allen, Bourbon, Cherokee, Chautauqua, Crawford, Elk, Labette, Linn, Montgomery, Neosho, Wilson, and Woodson.
For more information about this program people can call 620-724-8204.