CARTHAGE — The Frontenac boy's basketball team overcame a six-point second-half deficit to take a one-point lead in the final minute only to end up falling 61-60 at the hands of the Carthage Tigers on Thursday night in Missouri.

Trailing 49-43 with 4:44 left in the game, the Raiders fought back to a two-point deficit in the final minute.

Ryan Long cut it to 59-57 with 67 seconds left.

An underhanded basket by the Tigers made it a four-point game before Riley Swigart scored his third 3-pointer of the night to make it a one-point game.

Ryan Menghini’s shot was blocked, but he earned a foul after Alex Derryberry was called for blocking.

Menghini’s free throws sent the Raiders in front.

Derryberry was then fouled on the other end of the floor on his way to the basket by Broc Ginavan.

Derryberry’s shot went through with 2.5 seconds left with the game tied at 60. He hit the second to put the Tigers ahead 61-60.

Long’s 3-pointer came off the buzzer and the Tigers escaped with a 61-60 win.

“We got a pretty good shot,” said Frontenac head coach Doug Barto in his post game comments with 103.5 FM. “They did a good job on the switch. It was a good ball game. There were some calls from the refs but they were both ways. Both teams had some advantage calls, but I told the players they had to adjust. It came down to two or three plays but it was close.”

Derryberry finished the night with 22 points, while Chase Johnson had 18 and Arkell Smith had 11. Keith Guest had four.

“We had to have someone on Derryberry,” Barto said. “He was good. It felt like he had 44 points. He’s a good player.”

Menghini had 12 points to lead the Raiders, while Swigart had 11. Isaac Bicknell had 10 points as well as Long. Carlos Herrera had six and Ginavan scored five.

“I’m lucky to have eight or nine kids who can start and have so many points,” Barto said. “We don’t have one player who can score 20 points, but that’s the way our offense works.”

Carthage used a few free throws to build an early 7-2 lead.

But the Raiders battled back with a 9-2 run. A Menghini basket before a timeout was called gave the Raiders an 11-9 lead.

Bicknell made it a 10-0 run with a 3-pointer late in the first quarter. The Raiders led 14-9 heading into the second quarter.

He scored from the inside to extend the Raiders’ lead, early in the second quarter and Menghini soon made it 18-12.

Carthage responded with a 4-0 run to cut the Raiders’ lead to two.

Swigart scored from 3-point land with less than two minutes in the first half and the Raiders soon made it 25-22.

A drive to the basket by Bicknell made it 27-23, Frontenac, in the closing seconds of the first half.

Ginavan scored his first basket of the night at the end of the first half to give the Raiders a six-point advantage.

The Tigers started the second half on a strong 10-4 run to tie the game at 33. Soon after, the Tigers went ahead by two.

With five minutes left, the Tigers took a 47-43 lead.

Colin Coronado missed a 3-point jumper and the Tigers made it count by scoring on the other end of the floor.

A traveling call on the Raiders gave the Tigers (5-10) the ball back and Ryan Long was fouled. Long hit both charities.

Soon after Coronado fouled out.


The Raiders (4-8) will turn around and face Independence tonight on the road.

“It’s neat that we got three days of practice last week and this week,” Barto said. “Hopefully when we get to where we want to be, we’ll be ready for back to back game days.”

Michael Bauer is a sports reporter for the Pittsburg Morning Sun. E-mail him at and follow him on twitter at @michaeljohn391.