FRONTENAC — The Frontenac High School basketball teams settled for a split on Friday against St. Paul, with the girls losing 48-44 and the boys winning 63-33.


The Frontenac boys’ team made quick work of St. Paul in the second game of the night, jumping out to a double-digit lead at the end of the first quarter en route to a thirty-point win.

“I was pleased with our energy tonight,” FHS head coach Ryan Varsolona said. “We played really well on defense. We challenged the guys to rebound better and to put pressure on them, and our guys did really well in responding to that.”

A slow start to the game saw the Raiders fall behind in the opening minutes, but they bounced back with 15 consecutive points to take an 18-6 advantage.

The 15-0 run included points from Broc Ginavan, Peyton Brown, Hayden Pile, Cale Franklin and Daniel Watts.

The Raiders continued to keep the pressure on in the second quarter, extending the lead to 20 points with help from a pair of 3-pointers by Watts and Pile.

Frontenac went on to take a 35-14 advantage into halftime following a buzzer-beating shot by Ginavan near the half-court line.

It was all downhill for the Raiders from there, as they pushed the lead to 30 points at the end of the third and coasted to the finish line.


A pair of 3-pointers by Taylor Peterson kept the Raiders within striking distance in the final minute of the contest, but the Indians held strong in the final moments to win 48-44.

“St. Paul played really tough defense which took us out of our offensive rhythm tonight,” FHS head coach Martha Harper said. “I felt like we should have rebounded a lot better. We also fouled them a lot which gave them some free points on the foul line. We just need to work more on rebounding and communicating on offense.”

A back-and-forth first quarter saw the two teams take a 13-13 tie into the second.

Five quick points by Karma Fields put the Raiders up 5-0 in the opening minutes of the contest, but the Indians struck for six unanswered points to go up by one.

Back-to-back buckets by Macy Kotzman and Lauren Harper put FHS back out in front before St. Paul regained the lead at 11-10.

Fields knocked down a 3-pointer to give FHS the lead for the third time, but the Indians managed to score and tie the game in the final possession of the first quarter.

The Indians went on to mount a four-point lead early in the second quarter and increased it to five at 27-22 by halftime before holding the Lady Raiders to six points in the third quarter.

Peterson notched the first two points of the second half to put the Raiders back to within three, but Frontenac was held to four points in the remaining seven minutes of the third, falling behind 35-28.

Frontenac rallied to tie the score in the early going of the fourth on the strength of nine unanswered points coming from Fields and Katelin Randall.

The Indians snapped the scoring drought with a pair of layups to go up by four, before increasing the lead to 44-38 with a minute remaining in regulation.

Frontenac pulled back to within two points on the strength of a pair of 3-pointers by Peterson, but didn’t have enough time to complete the rally, as the Indians closed out the win with a bucket in the final 10 seconds of regulation.