The Farr Side column: Mash-up of holiday song titles
Columns share an author’s personal perspective.
It’s Christmas season, and I can’t recall a year when holiday music has uplifted me as much as in 2020.
I began playing Christmas songs earlier this year than I normally do and put up my decorations a couple of weeks sooner than I have before.
I’ve enjoyed making an Amazon playlist of Christmas music, too. I have compiled nearly 1,600 tracks. There are songs from all genres, old and new, traditional to contemporary and some awesome originals. I put it on shuffle and let it play for hours. You may listen to the playlist on Amazon by searching for The Farr Side.
In compiling the playlist and listening to the endless variety, you can begin to hear how songs have similar lyrics and melodies or at least they begin to take on that the closer it gets to Christmas.
So, while you’re preparing those delicious Christmas cookies, here’s a baker’s dozen of some holiday song title mash-ups. Let’s see if you can decipher these mashed-up holiday song titles.
1. Where are you Christmas can’t be too far away in the manger.
2. White Christmas time is here comes Santa Claus.
3. All I want for Christmas is you make it feel like Christmas lights.
4. What child is this Christmas in Dixie.
5. Jingle bell rockin’ around the Christmas tree farm.
6. Hard candy Christmas baby please come home for the holidays.
7. Hey Santa baby its cold outside.
8. We need a little Christmas all over again.
9. I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus is coming to town.
10. Carol of the bells of St. Mary did you know.
11. We wish you a merry Christmas baby its cold outside.
12. I want a hippopotamus for Christmas is the time to say I love you and me and Christmas song.
13. Mistletoe and holly jolly Christmas wrapping.
A little tougher than you thought? Check your answers below and check back next week. We will take this Christmas mash-up quiz to the next level, going beyond the song titles and into the lyrics.
Answers: (1) “Where Are You Christmas?”/“Christmas Can’t Be Too Far Away”/“Away In A Manger. (2) “White Christmas”/“Christmas Time Is Here”/“Here Comes Santa Claus.” (3) “All I Want For Christmas Is You”/“You Make It Feel Like Christmas”/“Christmas Lights.” (4) “What Child Is This?”/“This Christmas”/“Christmas In Dixie.” (5) “Jingle Bell Rock”/“Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree”/“Christmas Tree Farm.” (6) “Hard Candy Christmas”/“Christmas Baby Please Come Home”/“Home For the Holidays.” (7) “Hey Santa!”/“Santa Baby”/“Baby, It’s Cold Outside.” (8) “We Need A Little Christmas”/“Christmas All Over Again.” (9) “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus”/“Santa Claus Is Coming To Town.” (10) “Carol Of The Bells”/“The Bells Of St. Mary”/“Mary, Did You Know.” (11) “We Wish You A Merry Christmas”/“Merry Christmas, Baby”/“Baby, It’s Cold Outside.” (12) “I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas”/“Christmas Is The Time To Say ‘I Love You’”/“You And Me and Christmas”/“The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire).” (13) “Mistletoe And Holly”/“Holly Jolly Christmas”/“Christmas Wrapping.”
David T. Farr can be reached at email@example.com.